Tenure-track, 12-month Faculty Appointment
University of Cincinnati
Assistant Librarian / Metadata Librarian
University of Cincinnati Libraries
The University of Cincinnati Libraries invites applications and nominations for the Tenure-track, 12-month Faculty Appointment position of Metadata Librarian. We seek a self-motivated individual who will manage metadata relationships between resources, data, and discovery tools and provide data integration across systems. The Metadata Librarian works in close collaboration with the library staff in electronic resources, information technologies, and public services providing metadata and cataloging services to enhance the user discovery and access experience. The Metadata Librarian is a member of the University of Cincinnati Libraries faculty, and will participate in library-wide services and initiatives. This faculty position reports to and receives direction from the Head of the Technical Services Team.
The University of Cincinnati is a Carnegie Research 1 institution, offering educational excellence and real-world experience. A large, public, urban university with a diverse student population of approximately 42,000, UC was “among the top tier of the Best National Universities,” US News & World Report, September 2012. UC also holds a reputation for signature architecture that places it among the world's most beautiful campuses, and, Princeton Review in April 2011gave kudos for UC’s green initiatives. Visit: http://www.uc.edu/about .
The University of Cincinnati Libraries are a charter member of the Association of Research Libraries . The libraries provide access to research collections which include more than 3.7 million volumes, 96,000+ periodical subscriptions, an online digital repository of over 500,000 local digital objects, and 1 million e-books. The University of Cincinnati is also a founding member of the nationally recognized OhioLINK Library Consortium, providing access to resources available across the state. Visit: http://libraries.uc.edu
Cincinnati is a vibrant destination on the scenic Ohio River. The “Queen City” is a culturally diverse city with all the amenities of a large, bustling metropolis, including art museums, symphonies, opera and theater, historic architecture, outstanding parks & recreation system, fine restaurants, and sports events. Visit: http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In a complex and rapidly changing environment, the Metadata Librarian is responsible for the creation, maintenance and enrichment of metadata representing physical and digital resources. Perform original cataloging and complex copy cataloging in all formats, in a variety of subject areas.
- The Metadata Librarian acts as project manager or consultant for the creation and management of descriptive and other metadata for library projects and initiatives. Advise on policies, standards, and workflows for acquisition, description, access, and preservation of print and digital information. Provide metadata and cataloging assistance for other staff, solve unusual cataloging problems.
- Monitors changes in national and regional (OhioLINK) cataloging standards for impact on local practices. Communicate changes in coordination with the Database Management and Standards Committee (DMS) to cataloging staff in all UC and affiliated libraries.
- Participate in adapting emerging technologies and data encoding standards to improve discoverability of UC Libraries collections, by working with data in the library catalog, repositories, discovery tools, and knowledgebases.
- Provide oversight for authority control program, working closely with the current vendor, Backstage Library Works. Manage authority control reports relating to name, subject, series, and uniform title headings in the library catalog.
- Participate in batch processing and record loads, ensuring cataloging and metadata quality in partnership with Electronic Resources Department.
- Develop and provide training to library staff both within and external to the department, including affiliate library staff, on metadata, cataloging, the integrated library system, and other tools.
- Serve as the liaison with various outside vendors regarding contracts for ongoing cataloging and acquisition processes.
- Manage the Acquisitions and Cataloging Department in the absence of the department head.
- Participate in appropriate committees and organizations related to the duties and responsibilities of the department, and in support of UC Libraries programs and organizations.
- Master’s degree in library sciences from an ALA accredited program, or graduate degree in a related field. Three years of professional library experience with an emphasis on cataloging and metadata.
- Demonstrated knowledge of bibliographic tools and metadata practices and standards such as OCLC; RDA, AACR2, and MARC; authority control; and LC and NLM classification and subject headings.
- Project management skills.
- Knowledge of discovery layer technology, linked data and semantic web development.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a strong commitment to customer service and teamwork.
- Aptitude for complex, analytical work with an attention to detail, with the ability to manage a variety of tasks and multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated record of ongoing professional development and contribution, and ability to meet University of Cincinnati Libraries reappointment, promotion and tenure requirements.
- Reading knowledge of at least two foreign languages.
- Physical requirements include frequent communications, verbal and written; frequent sitting and standing; visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess; thinking analytically.
Experience with Innovative Interfaces Inc./Millennium; familiarity with digital content standards such as Dublin Core, METS, MODS, SML,VRA, EAD, and TEI; ability to write scripts and /or other programming skills; additional foreign language skills.
Salary and Benefits:
Rank and salary are negotiable depending on experience and qualifications. Benefits include health care, retirement plan, 22 days vacation, sick leave, and tuition remission for self and immediate family.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications, including cover letter, resume, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references, must be submitted online at: http://www.jobsatuc.com (search for position number 212UC2193) or call 513-556-1553 for assistance.
The University of Cincinnati is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer.